Domestic Commercial Vessels

Domestic Commercial Vessels (DCVs) are regulated by Commonwealth Legislation – the Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessel) National Law Act 2012 (the National Law) and State based legislation.

The National Law regulates vessel construction and operation plus seafarer qualifications. It also establishes Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) as the National Regulator for commercial vessel safety.

Information on certification for vessels and seafarers under the National Law can be accessed through the AMSA website or by calling AMSA Connect 1800 627 484 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm).

Domestic Commercial Vessel (DCV) operating in Tasmanian Waters

In accordance with the Marine and Safety (General) Regulations 2013,  the owner of a Domestic Commercial Vessel (DCV) operating in Tasmanian coastal waters contributes to the cost of providing these services through the payment of the Annual Infrastructure Administration fee. The owner of a DCV that commences operations in Tasmanian coastal waters must notify MAST of the vessels operations

A commercial vessel newsletter is sent to all DCV operators to keep them informed of MAST’s ongoing management of the marine infrastructure in Tasmania.

AMSA Certificate of Competency holders operating on recreational vessels in Tasmania

Certificate of Competency holders wishing to operate a registered recreational vessel in Tasmanian waters require a Recreational Motor Boat Licence.  Certificate of Competency holders will not be required to undertake the practical boat licence course, but payment of the triennial Recreational Motor Boat Licence fee is required. A Recognition of Interstate Motor Boat Licence / Certificate of Competency Application Form will need to be submitted to MAST.

Retrieval of historical information relating to DCVs and Certificates of Competency

All information relevant to certification issued since the commencement of the National Law is held by AMSA. However, older historic information relevant to commercial vessel approvals and Certificates of Competency in Tasmania prior to the National Law are retained by MAST. A Retrieval of Information Application Form needs to be provided to MAST to access this information.